Prior Plan Approval Search
Please reference the documents below to determine need for prior plan approval.
- Prior Review (Prior Plan Approval) Code List (Includes Avalon, AIM Sleep and AIM Medical Oncology-Commercial/Non-Medicare)
- Medical Oncology Program Prior Review Code List - Blue Medicare
- AIM Prior Review Code List (includes Diagnostic Imaging, Sleep, Oncology and Cardiology programs)
Prior review (prior plan approval, prior authorization, prospective review or certification) is the process Blue Cross NC uses to review the provision of certain behavioral health, medical services and medications against health care management guidelines prior to the services being provided. Inpatient admissions, services and procedures received on an outpatient basis, such as in a doctor's office, and prescription medications may be subject to prior review.
Please note, any services, durable medical equipment or medications listed on the Prior Review Code List require authorization for ALL places of service, including when performed during any inpatient admission, including both planned inpatient admissions and emergent inpatient admissions*.
Reviews may confirm:
- Member eligibility
- Benefit coverage
- Compliance with Blue Cross NC corporate medical policy regarding medical necessity
- Appropriateness of setting
- Requirements for use of in-network and out-of-network facilities and professionals
- Identification of comorbidities and other problems requiring specific discharge needs
- Identification of circumstances that may indicate a referral to concurrent review, discharge services, case management or the Healthy Outcomes Condition Care Program
*Services on the Prior Review Code List that are rendered emergently or urgently during an inpatient admission are still subject to medical necessity criteria.
Services Requiring Prior Plan Approval
- Admissions and Private Duty Nursing
Including skilled nursing facility admissions and private duty nursing service.
- Diagnostic Imaging
Including CT/CTA, PET and MRI/MRA scans and nuclear cardiology studies.
- Enhanced Cardiology
Including echocardiology and other codes related to Cardiology Management
- Prescription Drugs
Including medications to treat Hepatitis C, ADHD, weight loss, biologics for arthritis and psoriasis, and restricted access drugs.
- Services and Procedures
Including home health care services, durable medical equipment, behavioral health (mental health/substance use disorder) and the Prior Review List.
- Medical Oncology Program
- Sleep Management Program
- Lab Management Program
The Avalon portal will not be available until 4/23. Please fax the completed form to Avalon's Medical Management Department at 813-751-3760. If you have any questions, please call 844-227-5769.